1200 Miles & a Cup O' Dirt & a little Mississippi Mud!

Take the year long challenge of completing a dozen or half a dozen dirty centuries and join the fun in December! Everybody who completes this challenge will be rewarded with a custom hand-made stoneware mug as well as be in a drawing for other prizes. Read the FAQ for details, and welcome to the fun!

I've increased the fun to give some more folks a shot at the cup - a bit 'watered down' - We'll have the 1200 Mile Cup O' Dirt and a 600 Mile Cup O' Mississippi Mud and new in 2008 is the 1/2 Liter O' Dirt - earned by completing 12 metric centuries in the year! A special award will be presented to anyone completing either a dirty century or metric century in each month of the year.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Tim's been busy, while Dave G.'s been doing extra credit!

From Tim B:

"Hi Dave. The roads have been busier lately with all of the combines grain trucks
but the weather has been absolutely beautiful.

October 11th - Headed west and then north over I80. I stopped on the way back for a
quick snack and to refill my water bottles at the Casey's in De Soto, finishing the day with 102 km.

October 18th - I headed south. I didn't really go anywhere, I just headed south just east of I35. Finished up with 102 km.

November 1st - I had a family gathering in Huxley. It seemed like a good excuse for a bike ride to me. I headed south out of town, then west to Booneville. I passed within spitting distance of both Waukee and Woodward; and stopped for a refill at the Casey's in Madrid. I ended the day with 112 km.

November 2nd - There isn't anything like riding a bike to use as an excuse for not doing yard work! Headed out west, up through De Soto and back for 101 km.

Thanks,
Tim Beirbaum"

And from Dave G.

Dave,
I would have never thought a year ago that the most expensive bike I have ever bought would be a dirt bike, a.k.a. Trek XO2. Its a sweet ride.
However yesterday I started out for #14 and I was riding down this path headed towards the gravel.

I was going about 12-14 mph, and rolled over a couple of branches about 1" in diameter, and the next thing I know, myself and my bike are doing a flip in the air. Somehow one of those branches caught my front tire and locked it, and I flipped with the bike. Not sure how it happened??? Glad I had a helmet on my head smacked the dirt good, I remember hearing myself grown. It happened so fast. Tried to keep riding my wrist was throbbing, so headed back home.

So today back on the road, with wrist brace and did a 100K on gravel/dirt/trail....:-)


Dave G."

No comments: